Tuesday 16 August 2011

Focus after chaos

It’s Monday. Time to breathe new life into a new week. Time to start to focus with clarity again. Time to reconnect to the heart. We’ve good reason to in my part of town today. There’s something clean about a Monday. Washing away the sins of the week that’s been, Monday seems to give permission for the week (and therefore us in it) to start again. To begin anew. This week, in Croydon, it feels important that we begin anew.

You see, I live in Croydon, London. It’s a place not renowned for its charms per se. It’s a functional lively place to live, and offers a huge diverse cultural pot of people that makes it interesting to walk down the street. It’s a down to earth, slightly grubby functional part of town, home to many different classes, races and ages. It’s home to us though, and most of us who live here say the words ‘I live in Croydon’ with a kind of grudging pride that has a hint of ‘come on then, say what you need to say’ in response. Croydon has a bit of a reputation, you see. It’s one of those places that elicits a ‘Oh…Croydon…’ response when you tell people where you live.

Most people in their minds eyes seem to imagine up grey buildings, 60s leftovers, grotty streets, short miniskirted club goers (even in winter), young (young!) mothers, ethnic diversity and all of that some how adds up to an apologetic ‘oh you live in Croydon…’ type of response. And whilst all of that might be a somewhat true reflection, we try to put our best face forward when you come to visit. There are some things we are not so proud of. But mostly, it’s a good place to live.

Last Monday though, something happened. In response to tensions, in search of release, in sheep like fashion…for whatever reason, chaos sparked. Buildings and tempers too. As a result, for the last week or so, we’ve been dusting ourselves and our streets off. Making good by boarding up buildings and learning to live with the smell of smoke in the air. Chaos reigned in our streets in the form of riots and looting.

And without quite realising it, I’m only now realising that I’ve been caught in internal chaos. I lost track of my heart, I went into shock. And as with most times when our bodies go into shock, I had not realised it. I went about my daily business, responded emotionally, but actually, my heart left my body and I was not quite able to function in the way I usually do.

That means I spoke to people affected – shopkeepers who dashed to Ikea to buy more lighting so their customers could see what they were buying because the normal daylight was hidden behind boarded up broken windows. I commiserated and shook my head in a ‘what’s to be done’ way. I called the council offering to bring my broom to wherever it was needed – apparently over 500 calls were made by 10am on Tuesday morning. All calls of help and support offered. I tried to breathe through it. I pretended I could just get on with life as if this was some small blip. I smiled in gratitude when fellow Croydon friend, knowing that I was in a particular part of town, called on Tuesday lunchtime telling me that it was apparently all kicking off again, with instructions to take the back streets home. I also did what I was told.

What I’ve realised this morning, as we come into a new week though is that my body has holding shock. My heart has been somewhere outside of me as I continued through the week. Deep sadness crept in and though I was going through the motions of ‘it’s ok, get on with life as usual’, life has NOT been usual this week.

I went to the shops and bought things – and noticed many people chatting and talking more than usual. I nodded hello and stopped to talk to my neighbours on the street every time I left the house for something (this is not entirely normal, not EVERY time I go out do I do that!). I enjoyed our friends coming round, I cooked, I went to the large hardware store to buy concrete and ballast for our new patio slabs that were being laid (I noticed that much of the large sheets of plywood were out of stock). We continued on. Life went on. And yet, I smelled acrid smoke in the air as bus doors opened and tried to make that ok, telling myself it was over. It was a moment of madness.

But behind and through it all, I realise I am still listening, just listening out for the helicopters, the sirens and silently sending little prayers of gratitude out for the safety of all concerned. Through the days, passing shops with wood for windows, signs out front saying ‘sorry we’re closed’ or ‘open for business’. I realise that I’ve been holding my breath. I’ve been in shock. I shut down my heart and have been going through the motions of living.I slapped an ‘I’m fine, I’m coping well’ label on me and went about my business. I lost connection with myself.

But the promise of ‘Monday’ and a chat with a wise woman has helped me notice the tensions in my body, my mind and my heart. With her help, I shook myself off this morning and have returned my heart to its rightful place, inside of me, able to open and close at will through my desire. Through tapping on my thymus, waking my heart back up and shaking out the shock, I’m finally coming back into light and focus. By being ok about feeling human and acknowledging that actually I was scared and sad and simply did not quite know what to do or think…through doing all of this, I am suddenly free and clear to start my week differently than I did last week. Because only with my heart wide open can I go and really have the conversations, really create and have the connection that my part of town so desperately needs right now.

I’m off to see what that means for me; I invite you to check in with yourself – really check in: how are you doing? is your heart open or closed? in response to what? and if it is closed just now, what can you do to open it up a little, even if just to yourself?

I recommend breathing (in for four, hold for four, out for four), bouncing (mini trampolines are wonderful), skipping – with or without a rope! – until you are out of breath, actually just saying out loud that it’s ok to feel the way you feel sometimes – and really say it: I’m scared that…, I’m sad that… and just notice what you might need underneath all that feeling. And if it’s at all possible, go fulfil that need as a gift to yourself. Whether that’s a hug, a yell, some reassurance from a friend, a breath, some clarity or even just a cup of tea. Go give it to yourself. Or even better, go give it or share it with someone else closeby. They may need it too.

9 comments:

Magic Jackie said...

Thank you for sharing. Living where I live is very safe, there are no shops let alone electrical shops, which in a way is good. It is also easy to lose touch on the "real" lives of people near to the danger zones. I was so touched by your words. It brought it to life and also verbalised the shock that many people will be going through without realising it.

Helena said...

Thanks Jackie - I'm really pleased and have goosebumps in response to the fact that it touched you...It's made me smile.

Karen said...

Hi Helena,

Wow! I had virtually the same experience even though my area didn't suffer anywhere near the intensity that yours did.

On Monday night I went for a Theta Healing session which really helped me as I had virtually shut down as a way of self protection.

Thank you for sharing xx

Sarah-Jane Le Blanc said...

Wow! The truth of your words really touched me and brought my emotions flooding to the surface - for you and for all those affected. As I neared the end of your blog I followed your suggestion of "checking in with myself" - I haven't done that for a while. Thank you. Just what I needed - and I too am now embracing this week and all it has to offer. Such honest and powerful writing. You truly are blessed.

Paula said...

Hi Helena,

Thanks for sharing! Last week also affected me as a resident of Croydon I was was really scared and sad about what was going on. I saw people crying on the bus and getting phone calls about avoiding certain areas that where due to be "hit next".
I found it hard to do any work so I decided to write the whole week off.
On Monday I was no longer going to focus on what happened and it was time to move forward and try to help wherever I can so the kids of the future know there worth and that there is a bright future out there.

Helena said...

Karen, I so love that you knew enough to go take care of yourself - that's such a great first duty;

Sarah - Thank you, I'm humbled and pleased to provide the reminder, and delighted you are checking in

Paula - I just love your spirit, you go out there and make the world shine with just who you are!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and your thoughts. I know watching it some 400 miles away in Scotland it looked somewhat surreal. I had to remind myself that this was real people and not some horror film or reconstruction from a war zone in a part of the World I would never visit. More and more hearts are opened by these events and good can come from what are "evil" acts even if those who carry them out are not. Lots of love xx

Sarah-Jane Le Blanc said...

SPREADING THE LOVE:
Just received an email from a client who is struggling with some heart stuff that has been tapped into during herlast treatment with me. As I was replying and suggesting that she check in with herself, your blog came straight to my mind - especially your recommendation of "giving a gift to yourself". So I offered your suggestion to her. Thank you for your inspiring words. May they continue to spread and create connections within us and around us....

ClaudiaCJ said...

Hi Helena, I do admire your courage for sharing something so personal. And that is part of the healing process - getting it out; naming it and once named taking the action that's needed to finally heal. Well done, Helena. Your openness has enabled me to look inside and address what I've been hiding. Thank you.
Claudia